Social media platforms have come a long way in support of posting video. Instagram, Twitter and others would only support posting pictures not too long ago. For a while, Vine was the option many chose for posting video on social media. Keep in mind, Vine would only allow you to post 5 seconds of looping video at a time.
Once Vine’s video capabilities gained widespread use, Instagram took notice. Instagram began allowing users to post 15 seconds of video. This was a big improvement over Vine’s 5 seconds. I know this is when I, personally, stopped using Vine. While creating video’s to promote band’s upcoming gigs, 15 seconds was a lot more useful.
Now, video has become much more integrated into the major social media platforms. Twitter allows users to upload 30 seconds worth of video, Instagram recently raised its limit to one minute, and Facebook will allow a maximum of 45 minutes. I bet some data storage companies like EMC are loving this growing trend.
With all the social media platforms embracing video, not enough businesses are taking advantage when it comes to their social media marketing campaigns.
Because I’ve been working with bands the past several years, the easiest example I can make is in the world of music. I’m going to look at one of our local Denver based music promoters, Soda Jerk Presents. Soda Jerk is a successful music promoter/venue owner. They are extremely good at what they do. Their About page is a pretty good read. That being said, let me show you how the use of video on their social media channels would be beneficial.
Here is a recent post from Soda Jerk’s Instagram account:
And here is one from their Twitter account:
On the outside, there is absolutely nothing wrong with these posts. That is, as long as you are a fan of these bands and are familiar with their music. Let’s face it, most of the bands out there are not as well-known as, say, the Red Hot Chili Peppers or the Rolling Stones. Yes, they likely have a loyal fan base, but what about the rest of the people out there that may not be familiar with their music?
Soda Jerk’s Twitter account has 5900 followers. Their Instagram account has 2900 followers. Let’s be generous and say 10% of their followers are familiar with Melissa Brooks and the Aquadolls. The other 90% likely don’t know what the band sounds like and therefore are much less likely to buy tickets to the show. I’ve seen it first hand with other bands like Dead Sara and Irontom who play for large crowds, and even regularly sell out shows in Los Angeles. Dead Sara had a decent crowd when they played the Marquis Theater last spring, though it was not a sell out. Irontom may have had 25 people in the crowd when they played the Larimer Lounge in February.
These bands, very popular in LA, simply aren’t as well-known in Denver. If all you do is post a picture on social media advertising a band, you are leaving it up to your followers to research the band to see if they are interested in going to the show. Most people will not take the time to do the research on their own. That is simply not effective marketing. Today’s society wants instant information.
Using video to promote a band that is playing a show is much more effective. Below is an example of a video clip I put together to promote an upcoming tour featuring Candlebox, Lullwater and Temple Agents. Yes, I know Candlebox is likely more well-known than other bands in this post, however I believe the example still illustrates my point.
Though the example above is posted on YouTube, being only 28 seconds long, it works perfectly on our Facebook account, Instagram account as well as our Twitter account. If your followers aren’t familiar with Candlebox, Lullwater or Temple Agents, they instantly know what their music sounds like. They are much more likely to know whether or not they would be interested in buying tickets to the show.
In today’s world, people like things made easy for them. They want as much information as quickly as possible without having to do extra work on their own. Using video on your social media channels could be the simple marketing tool you need.
So if a picture is worth a thousand words, imagine what a video is worth.